This blog is published for the sake of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala and the thousands of Muslims raised or reverts, or even non-Muslis, who might be living in areas where they are not able to experience Ramadan in a Muslim community; so we, at MWA, invite you to be a part of our community in Ramadan.

The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong) Al-Baqarah 2:185

Established in 2006, Muslimah Writers Alliance (MWA) is an internationally-based collaboration of Muslim women writers and advocates working together to counter negative and inaccurate perceptions regarding members of the Muslim community and the Islamic faith.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

MWA's Nancy Qualls-Shehata shares a reflection on Quran memorization

As Salaamu Alaikum!

Just about midnight and time for me to go to sleep. Tomorrow, inshaAllah, I start reading surat An'aam. Review what I'm memorizing of surat al Mulik. Make a pot of stew. Chase the kids around. Step on a few Legos.

It's really amazing, and big shame on me actually, that during a month that is so busy with work, and long challenging days due to fasting, that I have read more Qur'an than I have the whole previous year. Less TV, still sufficient time for my crochet, still working, praying more and more consistently. It boils down to choices. When you make the time to MAKE THE TIME to learn, Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala blesses your time and gives you more energy. No excuses. My most heartfelt du'a is that I am able to maintain my learning after Ramadan is over.

One reason I decided to memorize surat al Mulk, even though I haven't completed Juz 'Amma, the last portion of the Qur'an with the shorter surahs, is that it will serve as a protection against the punishment of the grave. I intend to recite it in Arabic and understand it in English, inshaAllah, and to put into practice lessons learned from it.

Remember that we are not supposed to be parrots reciting without understanding. If the Book is on our lips but not in our hearts and in our daily lives, then it is of no benefit to us. I remind myself first and foremost.

Also by Nancy Qualls-Shehata 
MWA member Nancy Shehata on 'Hitting the Suhoor Wall...." 

---
ABOUT MWA MEMBER NANCY SHEHATA Nancy Shehata is a busy wife, mom, and writer living in Fredericksburg, Virginia. She blogs about Islam, politics, life, and the joys of raising a family at www.muslimahinprogress.blogspot.com while simultaneously wiping runny noses and helping her husband find obscure reference material for his lectures. Nancy's desire in life is to de-mystify Islam for non-Muslims and to help Muslims learn their religion according to authentic sources. She also shares her love of food at www.radicalislamiccuisine.wordpress.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog administrators reserve the right to approve or disapprove posts.